Friday, November 05, 2004

OK, on to bigger and better things...
A hypothetical (you'll probably figure it out):

Let's say you're a business. You offer Product A and Product B. Both products require installation in the customer's home.

A customer calls and wants Product A, but isn't sure on Product B. You tell him, that's OK, you can order B later. He makes an appointment to have Product A installed. He calls back weeks later, saying he now also wants Product B and would like it installed the same day. You tell him that it is not possible to add on to a work order, and that he could cancel that work order and write up a new one, but there'd be no guarantee that you'd be able to install both Products on the original installation day. He then says, thank you, I will then not take Product B. You just lost $50 a month.

How fucking stupid is Comcast? I know many of you know this about Comcast, but really...that's what they told me above. They can't just add Internet installation to my work order, and they can't write up two separate work orders on the same account. That is so dumb, it's laughable. I'm not even mad...just baffled. Now, I didn't go to business school, but boy, if I have a customer wanting to buy a second product from me, no matter how small, I'm not turning him down. I'm FINDING a way to come through and get him that second service installed the day he wants, regardless.

I think maybe I'll write a letter. Not complaining, just telling them that, boy, that's a dumb business philosophy that maybe needs to be changed.